Abstract submission deadline: February 1st
RN 37 Specific call
Europe is going through difficult times: of rising nationalism, populism and unstable political, social and economic situations which have the city as their main setting. We take the theme of this ESA Conference “Europe and Beyond: Boundaries, Borders and Belonging” as an opportunity to debate social, symbolic and physical dimensions of the boundaries and borders creation, negotiation and transgression in urban areas. Within a critical approach, belonging has the potential to help us rethink attachment to place and local life in a time of increased mobility between world cities, of virtual networks and communities, but also of privatisation of public spaces and commodification of urban life.
We welcome papers on topics including, but not limited to:
• RN37_a – Urban Sociology (Open Session)
• RN37_b – Segregation and spatial forms of inequality
• RN37_c – Urban movements, the right to the city and new urban policies
• RN37_d – Consequences of digitalization in cities and urban life
• RN37_e – Mobility and its impact on urban communities
• RN37_f – Materiality in urban life
• RN37_g – Everyday life: continuities, changes, resistances
• RN37_h – Housing and dwelling
• RN37_i – Gender, age, ethnicity in urban space
The ESA RN37 Urban Sociology aims to continue the work developed at the previous ESA conferences and Midterm Conferences, by stimulating the cross-disciplinary debate on urban life, urban spaces and urban dynamics. At the Manchester ESA Conference we are interested in receiving proposals focusing on empirical data, but also specifically on the theoretical and methodological aspects of research, especially papers proposing innovative approaches.